Wednesday, January 6, 2010

A stolen car, broken dishwasher, and 3 books down...

My new year hasn't kicked off with the greatest of starts - so far I've had my car stolen, and my dishwasher has broken down. Just waiting for the next thing, they say bad things happen in threes right?
But, as far as this challenge goes I'm not fairing too badly!
Since the clock ticked over midnight and called in 2010 I have made my way through:


This Charming Man - Marian Keyes
Huge huge book! But conversational, 'chatting with your girlfriends' style makes it very easy to get through quickly.
I didn't even own this one! But have always been meaning to try out a bit of chick lit and didn't own any of my own. Besides it was living in my apartment so according to my rules I think that means I have to read it!








The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame
I remember reading the hard cover, colored, illustrated version as a child and watching the TV series, and have been meaning to re-read this for ages.
I was completely in awe of the beauty, creativity and originality of this book, letting it transport me back to the magic of childhood. I had forgotten (because I was probably about 8 when I last read it!) how beautifully Grahame describes this bizarre little world where besties, Ratty and Mole, embark on adventures with the eccentric millionaire, Mr Toad!




Shopping for buddhas - Jeff Greenwald
This book follows the author's obsessive search through the shops and markets of Kathmandu for the perfect Buddha statue.
I bought this book in Kathmandu around this time last year when I trekked to Mount Everest base camp. I really fell in love with Nepal and have been planning my next escape so this was perfect book for reminiscing!


No comments:

Post a Comment